I would like to point out that no matter which operating system you may be using, we all have reaped the benefits of open-source. Believe it or not, there is a little bit of free software goodness in all of us:
- I’d say browsing the internet is a must these days. Did you know that the TCP/IP stack in Windows is based off of the original code that was licensed by BSD?
- Firefox is clearly gaining new ground on Internet Explorer’s turf. The Mozilla Foundation is all about the open-source baby.
- The entire OS X operating system is based off of the Darwin kernel which, surprise surprise, is a UNIX variant.
- KHTML is the engine that renders web-pages in Safari. Yup, another gift given to you by the free software foundation.
- Have you ever printed out a report on your Mac? You just used CUPS which is the Common UNIX Printing Service.
- Apple has plans to ditch Microsoft and go completely with Open Office in the near future. It just feels better to be using open standards no?
- Do you even have to ask? The entire operating system and included applications are all open-source.
- Whenever you visit a website like Digg the content is automatically updated and generated for your viewing pleasure. Chances are its running on the LAMP stack – Linux + Apache + MySQL + PHP, check check check and check for open-source.
- Google is my best friend. They also run Linux clusters so you get your search results in under a second.
- Developers pay attention, Java is the most popular enterprise platform, and Sun just opened up its source for our hacking pleasure.
- Whenever you blog on WordPress, or Drupal just know it was built using open source tools, and licensed under the GNU.
- When I want information I go to Wikipedia. Wikipedia runs off of the open-source software MediaWiki which is also under the GNU.
- Intel based computer’s have open source drivers. This means compatibility for everyone.
- Set-top boxes like TiVo are using open source software to get you goodness on the big screen. MPlayer anyone?
As you can see open-source is all around us. The points I have mentioned are nowhere near the extent and true caliber of what open source delivers to us on a daily basis. Please enlighten me with your thoughts.